About Me

I am beyond vexed that the lottery has not made me a winner. I am not greedy for millions ~my needs are simple: good books, better wine, and a new vehicle.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolutions

I'm not a fan of denying myself things that are pleasurable, so I rarely resolve to stop certain behaviors in the New Year. I don't need to lose weight, I like having a bottle of wine every few weeks and smoking 5 to 10 cigarettes a day isn't good for me, but I certainly smoke less than I used to. I could be nicer to folks that irritate me, but basically I avoid those in my life who make me feel like I need to break out the razor blades. At work I have the"helpful smile" down pat. New Year's resolutions remind me of Lent. Find me a Catholic happy about Lent. There aren't any. This evening I'm going to enjoy the bottle of Pinot Noir I just opened, nibble crackers slathered with fat-laden cheese log and go outside and puff.

But this year I am resolving to do something I will enjoy. I am going to send one postcard a month to a friend. Or maybe more than one friend. Or maybe even...a letter. I honestly don't remember the last time I received a letter. The postcards may be crammed with regards or they may relay a single word or a list of things I'm reading. Technology has made it far too easy not to spend time on people. To loosely quote someone who will begin receiving said postcards: After the revolution we'll have to start writing again.

No comments: